The American Studies Blog is looking for passionate, motivated guest bloggers from all walks of life. Topics dealing with the United States, American literature and culture as well as the teaching of American Studies are welcome for submission. Please read the following guidelines to ensure that your submission will be considered for publication.
Length and format
- Less is more. Ideally, blog entries should be between 300 and 1,000 words. In some cases, longer pieces may be considered (i.e. short stories).
- Please include a 2–3 sentence bio with your submission.
- Please submit your blog electronically in Word format. All entries should include a catchy title as well as a suggestion in which of the categories you’d like it posted.
Audience, Writing Style, Referencing, and Language
- The American Studies Blog seeks a wide target audience, including upper-secondary school and university students, German teachers of English, academics in all phases of their career as well as anyone interested in the United States and American Studies. Topics should, therefore, have general appeal.
- Due to our wide readership, avoid the use of jargon and limit scholarly references.
- Please add links to other websites (include URLs in parentheses where they should appear), photos, screenshots, original video clips, and open access materials to your submissions.
- As a form of life writing, all blogs should have an authentic, unique point of view. Individual expression, tone, and voice are encouraged, e.g. doses of humor as well as thought-provoking and zeitgeisty topics are especially welcome.
- Please use American spelling, capitalization rules, and punctuation.
Ethics, Editing & Publishing Process
- By submitting your blog to the American Studies Blog, you certify that it is an original contribution with factually accurate information that has not been posted or submitted elsewhere. Furthermore, you certify that all parts of the submission are copyright free or that contributors possess the copyright for any photos, films, or materials which shall be published in conjunction with your proposed blog. Responsibility for plagiarism rests with the author(s).
- If submitting your own photos or film clips, please propose captions.
- We reserve the right to edit posts. Please do not feel offended if we make minor stylistic changes to improve the readability of your blog. Approved guest posts will be published without notice. Should major changes be warranted, we would give you an opportunity to review our changes.
- We reserve the right to reject any submission and to remove any post after it has been published.
- We do not accept unsolicited and/or promotional blogs.